Chances are that even today you have had an experience with relationships that fills you or drains you. We can be filled up by people we’ve never met in person in a private Facebook group and drained with merely a look by those closest to us. Because of the unpredictability of others, we often build up walls that keep us from truth and freedom that God has for us through others. Francesca Battistelli’s song “If We’re Honest” opens up that discussion for us as we seek truths in Scripture that will help us experience relationships like we never have before.
God’s Word holds truths and principles that we can follow to unlock a beauty in relationships that may still be hidden from view.
On this episode I discuss:
- The genesis of this song as told by Francesca Battistelli – YouTube Video
- Confessing our sins and struggles to each other – James 5:16
- The enemy’s plan to keep us isolated, not in fellowship
- Being a trustworthy friend
- Two special roommates – wisdom and prudence – Proverbs 8:12
- Steps to fulfilling relationships with others who long to know and follow hard after Christ
- Accountability – Proverbs 27:6
- Spiritual partnership and fellowship as referenced on Episode 119
- Elements of some special friendships that have grown into accountability relationships
- Growing together
- Serving together
- Reading the same book or devotion
- Fasting together
- Working hard at it
- Thinking the best of one another
- Being committed and celebrating that commitment
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercise this week is:
- Using section headings to get your bearings
- Matthew 18 Principle – Matthew 18:15-20
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official live video on YouTube below.
Download the single by clicking the link below.
- Story behind the song “If We’re Honest” by Francesca Battistelli with lyrics – New Release Today Article
This Week’s Challenge
Meditate on some of the areas of Scripture referenced on this episode. James 5 is where we learn to confess our sins to one another and pray for one another. Matthew 18 teaches us a profound principle for relationships. There are many Proverbs you could explore topically that will give you wisdom in relating to one another. The best thing you can do, along with meditating on Scripture this week, is to pray for one another. Be FOR each other enough to do the hard things.