In difficult seasons of life we often seek to know “why,” or even blame someone or something as if it makes it all better. This week’s song “Thy Will” by Hillary Scott is a moving ballad of surrender to the will of a God we can trust. I use this song to introduce us to Hagar, who had to do a little submitting to God’s will herself.
I find it so interesting that Hagar gets to name God in this section of God’s Word.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercise this week is:
- Journal your dialogue with God
- Being in a situation where you thought God led you, but now you are just broken and hurt
- The story behind why Hillary Scott hasn’t shared what the song is about for her – You Tube Video
- Potential areas of Scripture that this song might lead – Matthew 6, Luke 11
- The promise of God to Abram without the “how” or “when” details we all long for – Genesis 15:5-6
- Introduction to Hagar, servant of Sarai in Genesis 16
- How it ended up that Hagar was pulled into Abram and Sarai’s story – Genesis 16:2
- From conception to contempt – Genesis 16:3-4
- How Sarai was hoppin’ mad at the consequences of her own choices – Genesis 16:5-6
- Some messages by Beth Moore that helped me understand this section better – The God Who Sees
- God’s tendency to ask us questions to draw into dialogue with Him – Genesis 16:7-9
- God’s call for submission along with a promise – Genesis 16:10-12
- The part where Hagar names God – Genesis 16:13
Subscribe to/Follow More Than a Song and never miss an episode!
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Follow the More Than a Song 2019 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
This Week’s Challenge
Read Genesis 16 and try this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises of journaling your dialogue with God based on the questions posed to Hagar in verse 8. Then, if God gives you direction, follow it…submit to His authority over your life. You can trust Him.
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download