Stale. Fake. Dead. Dying. Faded. Worthless. Delusional. There are all kinds of hope in this world, but believers in Christ are born again into a living hope. Phil Wickham’s song “Living Hope” leads us straight to Scripture where we discover that a Living God gives us a Living Hope through a Living Savior.
The original recipients of 1 Peter needed assurance of their living hope as they were suffering greatly. Let’s explore it together.
In this week’s episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read and keep on reading
- Read an introduction to the entire book of the Bible you are studying
- Consult outside resources
- Make a list
- The 30 Day Music Challenge
- “The Lord is My Strength and My Song” Women’s Conference – More Information
- An introduction and outline of 1 Peter by J Vernon McGee – PDF of notes and outline
- Reading all the way through 1 Peter
- The theme of 1 Peter – the Christian hope in the time of trial
- J Vernon McGee teachings on 1 Peter – BlueLetterBible.com
- The Living God, our Living Hope, through our Living Savior – 1 Peter 1:3-5
- God’s call not to follow the culture – Jeremiah 10:3-5
- Jeremiah’s response calling God the living God – Jeremiah 10:10
- Making a list of the characteristics of the manmade idols vs. God’s characteristics in Jeremiah 10
- Our living hope comes after being born again – John 3:5-8
- Our living Savior Who bore our sins – 1 Peter 2:24
- The description of our living hope – 1 Peter 1:4-5
- Our proper response to the gift of our living hope – 1 Peter 1:13-16
- Our conduct reflecting our living hope – 1 Peter 1:22-23
- It is through Christ we believe in God – 1 Peter 1:21
Enjoy the official music video on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics and chords – Essential Worship
- The Story Behind the Song “Living Hope” by Phil Wickham – Essential Worship
First, if you’ve never been born again…place your faith and hope in God through Jesus, your living Savior. Then read 1 Peter. I think you’ll be surprised at the suffering it reveals…all the more need for a living hope. Read Jeremiah 10 for a snapshot of the effectiveness (rather ineffectiveness) of our false idols and the worthiness of our living God. Review the introductions to these books, interact with God’s Word as you read, and consult tried and true outside resources to shed even more light on what you’re reading.