Have you ever had the privilege of praying for someone else? Lifting a prayer to God on behalf of someone else is called intercessory prayer. This week’s song “In Jesus Name (God Of Possible)” by Katy Nichole is an intercessory prayer.
It inspired me to read, study, and meditate on an intercessory prayer Daniel prayed. Join me on the podcast as we explore it together.
In this week’s episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Pray Scripture
- Read larger chunks of Scripture
- Start with God
- Make a list
- How there is no “gift of intercession” instead as followers of Christ we are ALL called upon to intercede for
- all in authority (1 Timothy 2:2);
- ministers (Philippians 1:19);
- friends (Job 42:8);
- fellow countrymen (Romans 10:1);
- the sick (James 5:14);
- enemies (Jeremiah 29:7);
- those who persecute us (Matthew 5:44);
- those who forsake us (2 Timothy 4:16);
- and all men (1 Timothy 2:1)
- Being faithful to pray for those God has entrusted to your circle of family, friends, co-workers, etc.
- Praying in Jesus’ name as He teaches us in John 14 and John 16
- Recognizing Jesus as our mediator in 1 Timothy 2:5 and Hebrews 4:14-16
- How disciples of Christ can pray in His name
- Why prayers that ask for things contrary to the Word of God will never be answered – 1 John 5:14, James 4:2-3
- Seeing the element of intercessory prayer at work in Daniel 9
- It is a prayer in response to the Word – Daniel 9:2
- It is a prayer characterized by fervency – Daniel 9:3
- It is a prayer characterized by praising God for who He is – Daniel 9:4
- It is a prayer strengthened by confession – Daniel 9:5-15
- It is a prayer dependent on God’s character – Daniel 9:4, 7, 9, 15
- It is a prayer where the ultimate goal is God’s glory – Daniel 9:16-19
- Making a list of God’s characteristics revealed in this prayer
Enjoy the official music video of this song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – NewReleaseToday.com
- “Katy Nichole’s ‘In Jesus Name (God of Possible)’ Goes Viral” – CCM Magazine Article
- “What is intercessory prayer?” – GotQuestions.org Article
- Daniel 9 – Enduring Word Bible Commentary
- My prayer app of choice – PrayerMate App
- Sermon: In the Name of Jesus – John 14, 16 – Lifeway.com
Acknowledge your role as an intercessor — as one who is called to pray on behalf of others. Use the Scriptures included in the show notes to consider the instruction to pray in the name and authority of Jesus — the only mediator between God and us. Finally, spend some time reading and meditating on Daniel’s intercessory prayer in Daniel 9. Consider journaling how you will commit to adjusting your prayer life to match the example and instruction you uncover.