It is comforting to me to know that no matter the tragedy, season of pain and sorrow, and storms of my life, the Holy Spirit is a river that flows through the canyon of my life. Ellie Holcomb uses this metaphor in her song “Canyon,” and I use it to inspire my exploration Scripture to discover what it has to say to us.
Join me as we see the waters of life flow through Scripture and in and through our lives.
In this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Use your imagination
- Read in context
- Utilize the section headings
- Follow the cross-references
- The 30 Day Music Challenge
- The story behind the song “Canyon” – New Release Today Article
- The metaphor of your life as a canyon with major events making up the layers
- What we learned about water as a metaphor from last week’s episode – Episode 382
- Using your imagination to interact with Scripture
- The Holy Spirit as “rivers of living water” flowing from your heart – John 7:37-39
- Using a physical Bible to aid in “picturing the words on the page”
- Finding out what Scripture Jesus was quoting by following the cross-reference to Isaiah 55:1
- Discovering the gospel message in Isaiah 55
- Repentance in Isaiah 55:6-7
- God achieving His purposes through His Word – Isaiah 55:10-11
- Following the cross-reference to Acts 13
- Looking at the layers in the canyon of the history of the Hebrew people and seeing the river of God’s presence and life running through it
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official music video on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – New Release Today
- Story Behind the Song “Canyon” by Ellie Holcomb – New Release Today Article
- Chords – Worship Together
This Week’s Challenge
We went to three amazing places in Scripture this week. You could follow the path I took or choose to stop at lookouts along the way. Read John 7. Take the BITE of imagining the scenes described. Ponder the thought that the Holy Spirit is described as a river of life. Follow the cross-reference to Isaiah 55 and uncover the beautiful gospel message held in the text. Ride the rapids to Acts 13, where Paul describes the deep canyon of God’s people and reveals that there was a river running through it the entire time.