The hustle and bustle of the holiday season are coming to an end. So many details remind us of Christ. What a tragedy it will be if we make room for the traditions that point to Him but fail to make room in our hearts for HIM. Casting Crowns’ song, “Make Room,” inspired me to take a step back and view the details from a different perspective.
Join me as we explore just how long ago the details of the Christmas narrative were set in motion.
In this episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Storying – retelling the story of Scripture in your own words
- Share with a friend
- Slow down
- The 30 Day Music Challenge
- The Lifeway report revealing 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas, but 17% of them can’t remember any of the narrative – BreakPoint Podcast
- Letting the narrative of the birth of Christ sink in, to the point where you can retell it in your own words (a.k.a. taking the BITE of Storying)
- Taking a step back to see things in a new way
- Rereading the text, keeping an eye out for big-picture details reminding us of the grand story of Scripture
- The devotion by Mark Hall (lead singer of Casting Crowns) reveals the genesis of this song – Make Room: A Devo By Mark Hall From Casting Crowns
- Answering the question “so what?”
Enjoy the official music video of our inspiration song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
This Week’s Challenge
If you have not yet taken the time to slow down and read the text of the narratives of Christmas, take time this week to read Luke 1 and 2, Matthew 1 and 2, and John 1. And if reading these texts is an exercise in repetition, reread them! While you are reading, notice the details of the accounts. After you’re done reading, take a step back and see the big picture of God’s story. Is there room in your heart to accept the invitation to become a part of it?