The names of God reveal aspects of His character. I identified two names of God to explore using this week’s song “Jireh” by Elevation Worship and Maverick City Music as inspiration.
Come with me to Genesis to learn more about Yahweh Yireh and El Shaddai.
In this week’s episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Remembering the people described in the Bible were REAL
- Consult a map
- Use your imagination
- Slow down
- My friend Vince Wright and his work at TheBereanTest.com – YouTube Interview on MichelleNezat TV
- The Berean Test’s review of “Jireh” – TheBereanTest.com Article
- “Jireh” in our song refers to Jehovah Jireh, the King James Version translation of the Hebrew name for God Yahweh Yireh, meaning “The Lord Will Provide”
- “You are enough” in our song refers to the name for God El Shaddai, meaning All-Sufficient One
- Where God reveals His name El Shaddai – Genesis 17
- Considering the multiple cross-country moves Abram and his family made
- How Abram responded to God’s “enoughness”
- How El Shaddai steps into our not-enoughness with His all-sufficiency
- Continuing to read through Genesis 22 to the story of Abraham’s near-sacrifice of Isaac
- God’s provision of a substitutionary sacrifice in Genesis 22 and again in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus
It’s not letting God down we should be worried about. It’s lifting ourselves up that gets us into trouble. Like Abram, I want to get LOW in light of God’s all-sufficiency.
Enjoy the official music video of this song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – NewReleaseToday.com
- “Live Beyond The Music” with Jasmine Patterson – NewReleaseToday.com Article
- “Can We Let God Down?” – Article by Barbara Lee Harper
- “Does God Have Emotions?” – GotQuestions.org Article
- “The Names of God: El Shaddai” – BlueLetterBible.org
- “What does it mean that God is Jehovah-Jireh?” – GotQuestions.org Article
- Map of Abram’s Journey to the Promised Land – Headwaters Christian Resources
Read Genesis 11-22. Remember, the people depicted on the pages of Scripture were REAL. Slow down and let your imagination help you picture the scene (and even some of the scenes that likely happened between the scenes God inspired to record). Meditate on the two names of God highlighted in our song — El Shaddai (All-sufficient One) and Jehovah Jireh (the Lord Provides). Get low as you lift God up.