I think it’s an excellent problem to have. The problem that Zach Bolen, lead singer of Citizens, shared with me as the foundation for the song “Everything And More” by Citizens. The problem is that words don’t seem to express our God accurately. Any descriptor we can come up with God is all that and more.
Join me as we explore the Old Testament book of Job this week to see a group of friends giving their best effort to figure God out. Spoiler alert — they fail.
In this week’s episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Read and keep on reading
- Consult an overview
- Follow the cross-reference
- Look up words in the dictionary
- Make a list
- My special Friday With Friends interview with Zach Bolen, the lead singer of Citizens – A link to the audio or video version of the interview
- Reading the book of Job for yourself
- The two main resources I used for an overview of Job
- The literary classifications found in Job
- disputation (debate)
- How the author of Job raises the question: “Where is wisdom found?”
- How God’s answer to Job’s questions is more of Himself
- Job’s profound suffering – Job 3:11-13, Job 6:2-3
- Job’s friend’s truthful but unhelpful response – Job 5:9-11
- Discovering a truth like we discovered last week — God may have a purpose for your suffering — and sometimes that is so hard to accept
- Job’s poetic discussion about how wisdom comes from God alone – Job 28
- Following the cross-references that lead to more verses about the wisdom of God
- Deuteronomy 4:5-6
- Psalm 111:10
- Proverbs 9:10
- God’s revelation of Himself to Job – Job 38-41
- Making a list of the characteristics of God’s wisdom found in Romans 11:33
We want insight, do we not? Then we need to set our faces and our efforts toward gaining knowledge of the Holy One. And where is the best place for that? In His revealed Word.
Enjoy the official music video of this song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – NewReleaseToday.com
- Behind the song “Everything And More” by Citizens – Friday With Friends Interview
- Citizens Artist Profile – NewReleaseToday.com
- Bible introductions and overview links
- “How to Read the Bible Book by Book” by Fee and Stuart – Amazon paid link
- Reformation Study Bible Introduction to 2 Corinthians – Amazon paid link
Read the book of Job. I know it’s a big ask, but I also know it’s worth it. It flows together well, but it will benefit you to read or watch an overview of Job to learn how to read this book filled with poetry, prose, irony, and drama. Focus your attention on the question, “Where is wisdom found?” Follow the cross-references to gain insight from the whole of Scripture. Peek in at Paul’s teaching at the end of Romans 11 in light of what you’ve studied.