Stepping out into the unknown with God is made possible through His grace bestowed upon us, and the evidence of His faithfulness He gives us. “Build A Boat” by Colton Dixon sings about walking with God to do the impossible. This is reflected in Noah’s life- a man of great faith whose life is worth exploring.
Join me as we dig in and think deeply about the lessons we can learn from the life of Noah in the Old and New Testaments.
In this week’s episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Meditate on Scripture
- Use your imagination
- Share with a friend
- Consult an outside resource
- Define words
- Read in context
- Remember the people reflected in the Bible were real
- Interview with Colton Dixon about the story behind the song – Wally Show YouTube Video
- Where to read about Noah – Genesis 6-9; Hebrews 11
- The favor of the Lord allowing Noah to be described later as righteous, blameless in his generation, and a man who walked with God
- Thinking through the benefits of walking with someone
- How God thinks it’s important that we walk with Him – Micah 6:8
- Reflecting the character of God the more we walk with Him
- Noah’s role in saving his family – “One factor which possibly helped was that their father probably kept them busy for many years in building the ark and making preparations for the flood.” – Henry Morris – The Genesis Record – Amazon Paid Link
- How the record shows Noah’s actions over Noah’s words
- Recognizing that Noah was not silent in his generation, but was a “herald of righteousness” – 2 Peter 2:5
- Colton Dixon’s own words as it relates to the song and Scripture, “When God asks you to step out and do something big, He’s not trying to rob you of anything. He wants to give you something greater.” – New Release Today Article
- Seeing Noah’s faith celebrated in the New Testament – Hebrews 10:32-Hebrews 11:7
- “True Bible faith is confident obedience to God’s Word in spite of circumstances and consequences.” – Warren Wiersbe’s Hebrews Commentary – Amazon Paid Link
- Growing in our faith by walking with the faithful — both God and His faithful followers
When walking with God, He never runs ahead, leaving me behind. Sometimes I like to run ahead of God. But then that ceases to be walking with Him.
Enjoy the official lyric video of this song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – NewReleaseToday.com
- “Does the Bible Teach That It Did Not Rain until the Genesis Flood?” – Article by Don Stewart on BlueLetterBible.org
- Kevin Davis talks to Colton Dixon about the meaning behind his hit song “Build a Boat” – New Release Today Article
- “9 Things You Should Know about the Story of Noah” – The Gospel Coalition Article
- “What does it mean to walk with God?” – GotQuestions.org Article
- The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings by Henry Morris – Amazon Paid Link
- Be Confident (Hebrews): Live by Faith, Not by Sight (The BE Series Commentary) by Warren Wiersbe – Amazon Paid Link
Dig deep into the account of Noah’s life. Gain perspective by reading from Genesis chapter 1 through Noah’s death in chapter 9. Take some time to consider what walking with God looks like. Journal your thoughts or discuss them with a friend. Head over to Hebrews 10 and 11 to meditate on Noah’s faith and what that kind of faith might look like in your life right now.