How can you step out in obedience regardless of limited understanding, especially when the road ahead looks barren and dry? That’s what Casting Crowns sings about in their song “Desert Road” and also what Philip the Evangelist had to do in the book of Acts.
Join me in this thrilling story of the early church as followers show us what it’s like to fulfill Christ’s calling on their lives and all God does to bring glory to Himself as a result.
In this episode, I discuss the following:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Complete a word study
- Define a word
- Meditate on Scripture
- Make observations
- Consult an outside resource
- The free one-page PDF Episode Guide to guide your study – Episode 463 Download
- The story behind the song “Desert Road” by Casting Crowns – Klove blog article
- The featured verse that ties our song to the account in Acts 8 – Acts 8:26
- Starting at the beginning of Acts to understand why Philip was in Samaria in the first place and then why he was called to the desert road
- The word study on the Greek word martys inspired by Jesus’ words, “You will be my witnesses”
- Meditating on the idea that to be a witness for Christ includes testifying to what we know to be true but carries with it dying for that belief
- Jesus’ warning to His disciples in John 15:20-16:4
- Making observations in Acts 1-8 specifically around how followers witnesses and where they witnessed
- The revival in Acts 8:4-8 and the desert road in Acts 8:26-39
- Observations revealed in “Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: Exalting Jesus in Acts” by Tony Merida – Amazon Paid Link
The Ethiopian eunuch’s soul, forever in the Kingdom of God, benefited from Philip’s willingness to leave a joy-filled revival to follow the Spirit’s lead down a desert road.
Enjoy the official lyric video of the song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics to “Desert Road” by Casting Crowns – NewReleaseToday.com
- “Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary: Exalting Jesus in Acts” by Tony Merida – Amazon Paid Link
- My new favorite Bible Study Software – Logos Bible Software Affiliate Link
- The Lexham Bible Dictionary
- The Lexham Theological Workbook
This Week’s Challenge
Read Acts 1-8 for yourself. Complete a word study on the word “witness” found in Christ’s commission. Continue reading with your antenna up for ways the followers of Christ bore witness of Him and where they were when testifying. Make observations of Philip’s example of being a witness in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Finally, take comfort in God’s greater purposes on your own desert road.