I believe in the promises of God. I’ve seen God move in miraculous ways in Scripture and in my own life. But I also know from experience that sometimes things don’t turn out how I prayed for or in the timing I had hoped for. Benjamin William Hastings and Blessing Offor actually address this in their song, “That’s The Thing About Praise.”
Join me on the podcast as we look closely at a church family who didn’t get the rescue they probably wanted but remained faithful. I can imagine the only way through it for them was a hallelujah.
In this episode, I discuss the following:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Make a list
- Read the whole letter
- Pray Scripture
- The Episode Guide for this week’s podcast
- Considering the limitations of sermons that don’t prepare you to endure affliction
- Recognizing that when we sing “the only way through it is a hallelujah,” it means we are removing the focus from our situation to worship God
- Areas of Scripture you might study as inspired by the bridge of the song
- Matthew 6 – seek first
- Matthew 17 – faith moves mountains
- 2 Chronicles 20 – the battle was one through praise
- Joshua 6 – the walls fell down
- The Thessalonians received the gospel in suffering and held true to the gospel in suffering – 1 Thessalonians 1:1-7
- Making a list of the characteristics of the Thessalonian church
- The culture-changing effect of the gospel on the Thessalonian church – 1 Thessalonians 1:8-10
- An especially brutal kind of affliction — the personal kind – 1 Thessalonians 2:13-16
- What Paul didn’t say to encourage the Thessalonian church – 1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:5
- Praise tucked into Paul’s prayer for the Thessalonian church – 1 Thessalonians 3:9-12
- Using Psalm 27 to pray Scripture during times of affliction
He deserves our hallelujah, and everything else fades away because we are giving our praise to Yahweh. We are extolling the greatness–the excellence–of our great God. When we look at the greatness of God, it puts everything else into perspective.
Enjoy the official music video of the song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics to “That’s The Thing About Praise” by Benjamin William Hastings and Blessing Offor – NewReleaseToday.com
- My new favorite Bible Study Software – Logos Bible Software Affiliate Link
This Week’s Challenge
Read the entire first letter to the Thessalonians in one sitting. Then interact with the text. Make a list of the characteristics of this body of believers. Make a list of the opposition against them (internally and externally). Make a list of how Paul is exhorting them to respond even if their suffering doesn’t relent. Hop over to Psalm 27 and incorporate David’s words into your own prayer life. Lift a shout of joy to the Lord with music—singing your praise to Him. Allow the Lord to refocus your attention on His goodness and the opportunities around you to love.