In South Louisiana, where I live, there is a quirky question people often ask, “Who’s your mama, and can she cook a roux?” This question will ultimately lead you to a family name determining who is related to who, and whether or not you are a Cajun. (Roux, pronounced “roo”, is the base for a common Cajun dish called gumbo.) This question leads to the family heritage of a person and ultimately their identity. (For the record, my mama was a Duplecion and she can cook a roux…I’m a proud Cajun!)
Our song this week, “Grace Alone” as sung by Kings Kaleidoscope, leads us to Ephesians where we see our place in the family of God and clarifies what it took to get there.
Just like it was nothing I did that gave me a Cajun heritage, it is not in my power to be called a child of God. Explore Ephesians with me this week!
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Use a commentary or outside resource
- The Scripture behind the song – Ephesians 1:3-10
- All that God has done for us is done in love – Ephesians 1:4
- His decision to adopt us did not just come up…it was decided long ago – Ephesians 1:4
- God has adopted us into His family – Ephesians 1:5
- Salvation by grace and grace alone
- Using other Scripture references in the song to dig in further – Dustin Kensrue Blog
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can listen to the official audio on YouTube below.
Download the single or entire album by clicking the link below.
- Lyrics and chords for “Grace Alone” by Kings Kaleidoscope – PDF
This Week’s Challenge
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download