Sometimes we get lulled into thinking God is only in control in certain situations, but not in others. This is a lie direct from the enemy’s playbook. Tauren Wells’ new song “Hills and Valleys” reminds us that God is the supreme authority over all terrain in our lives. There was a group of Arameans in 1 Kings 20 that learned this same lesson the hard way.
I know that God is the God of the hills and the valleys and I long to trust him in both.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Reading in context
- Ask questions
- The verse that led me to 1 Kings 20 in the first place – 1 Kings 20:28
- Ben Hadad launching an attack on Israel – 1 Kings 20:1
- Learning more about King Ahab – 1 Kings 16:30-33
- God’s overall plan for this region and several “players” in it – 1 Kings 19:14-18
- An overview of the story of 1 Kings 20
- Ben Hadad’s advisors’ false report that Israel’s God is a God of the hills, but not of the valleys – 1 Kings 20:23
- Matthew Harmon’s book entitled Asking the Right Questions: A Practical Guide to Understand and Applying the Bible
- Some questions to help us understand the Bible
- What do we learn about God?
- What do we learn about people?
- What do we learn about relating to God?
- What do we learn about relating to people?
- Some questions to help us apply the Bible
What does God want me to think or understand?
What does God want me to believe?
What does God want me to desire?
What does God want me to do?
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch to the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or the entire album by clicking the link below.
- Story Behind the Song “Hills and Valleys” by Tauren Wells – New Release Today Article
- Story Behind the Song “Hills and Valleys” by Tauren Wells – YouTube Video
This Week’s Challenge
Read 2 Kings 20. It wouldn’t hurt to read it in context jumping back as far as chapter 15. Read it several times. Try to repeat the details of the story to a friend. Really let it soak in…it’s really quite an epic story. Then ask and answer the questions we asked on today’s episode.
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download