Everyone has a story. Part of the beauty of God’s Word is when we can identify with the people God chose to weave into His BIG story of redemption. Tenth Avenue North’s song “Control (Somehow You Want Me)” leads us to explore Jacob in the book of Genesis.
There is a distinct time and place where Jacob gives control to God. Let’s consider this place of surrender together.
On this episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Study a character
- Remember the characters in the Bible were real
- Make a list
- Meeting Jacob for the first time – Genesis 25:23-28
- When Jacob declares God as his own – Genesis 28:20-22
- What Jacob left behind when he went on the run
- The desperate place Jacob is in when God chooses to reveal Himself in a personal way
- Living a life of surrender after the first time you surrender
- Listing some of Jacob’s obsessions and intention – compare them to your own
- God calling Jacob back to the place where he first surrendered – Genesis 35:1-15
- Understanding that God wants you…just you…ditch the bag of idols you carry with you and give Him control
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
- Purchase the album or single on Amazon
- Lyrics and chords
- The story behind the song “Control (Somehow You Want Me)” by Tenth Avenue North
This Week’s Challenge
Read Genesis 25 through Genesis 35. Read and keep on reading. Consider big ideas, keeping them in context of the big story. Remember that Jacob was real. Most of all, make God YOUR God. Give Him control of your life. He has a really great plan for it.