I was raised to dream big. It is part of our culture to want the next generation to have more than we had. So, when I heard the challenge offered by Josh Wilson in his song “Dream Small,” I was inspired by the lyrics and this counter cultural idea.
Join me in a chapter you may just be tempted to skim over in Nehemiah where we see the significance of individual obedience…no matter how small.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Consider the historical context
- Remember the people in the Bible were REAL
- Use outside resources
- The historical context leading up to Nehemiah 3 using an outside resource – The Bible Timeline
- How I discussed the timelines of the rebuilding of the Jerusalem walls in Episode 203
- Daniel as a counselor to King Cyrus who decrees the resettlement of Jerusalem fulfilling a very specific prophecy about him by Isaiah 150 years prior – Isaiah 44:28, Isaiah 45:1
- The first wave of captives allowed to return to Jerusalem – Ezra 1:1-4
- Ezra and Nehemiah and a little bit about their backgrounds – Ezra 7:8-10, Nehemiah 1
- What I discovered about the significance of the gates that were rebuilt in Nehemiah 3
- The free outside resource that I discovered by Dr. J. Vernon McGee – Online Article – “The Gospel in the Gates of Jerusalem”
- The audio discussion of Dr. J. Vernon McGee regarding the Gospel in the gates of Jerusalem
- Session 1 – beginning at minute 14:48 – Online Audio Podcast Thru the Bible
- Session 2 – beginning at minute 4:27 – Online Audio Podcast Thru the Bible
- Session 3 – beginning at minute 3:30 – Online Audio Podcast Thru the Bible
- The rebuilding of the gates beginning at the Sheep Gate – the gate through which the animals were brought in for sacrifice – a foreshadowing of Christ
- Not all will be so willing to do their part – Nehemiah 3:5
- Not all are asked to do what they are comfortable doing – Nehemiah 3:8
- Sometimes tending to your home and neighborhood is enough – Nehemiah 3:23, Nehemiah 3:28-30
- Meshullam who rebuilt the part of the wall across from his bedroom – Nehemiah 3:30
- The opposition that reared its ugly head – Nehemiah 4
Subscribe/Follow More Than a Song and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button][button href=”https://open.spotify.com/show/0gkDArs6fXJuKKjOXwtVtg” primary=”false” centered=”false” newwindow=”false”]Follow in Spotify[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the acoustic version on YouTube below.
- Stories Behind the Song “Dream Small” by Josh Wilson – YouTube Video-Inspired by Jay
- Stories Behind the Song “Dream Small” by Josh Wilson – YouTube Video-Inspired by Suzanne
- Stories Behind the Song “Dream Small” by Josh Wilson – YouTube Video-Inspired by Becca
This Week’s Challenge
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download