Picture the best friend you’ve ever had. Friendship with Jesus is nothing like that. It’s deeper, richer, more meaningful, and more life-giving than the best friendship you’ve ever had. The effects of being Christ’s friend will make you a better person and more useful to the Kingdom of God than you could ever imagine. Matt Maher’s song, “What a Friend,” inspired me to explore what Scripture has to say about being friends with Jesus.
I learned something new this week. I can’t wait to share it with you!
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Use section headings to get your bearings
- Listen to an audio version of Scripture
- Use outside resources to learn new things
- Print out and mark up Scripture
- How our personal experiences sometimes fall short as a metaphor for our relationship with God
- Printing out Scripture double spaced with a wide right margin to give you permission to mark up the pages
- The condition that the word IF refers to in John 15:12-15
You don’t qualify as Christ’s friend through obedience…His salvation produces a change in us
- Friendship with Christ is marked by great love
- Friendship with Christ is possible because He laid down His life
- Our obedience is an effect of the life-changing relationship we have with Christ
- We are informed friends
- Through this friendship, we are welcomed into a relationship with Father as well
Watch the official lyric video below.
- Chords and Lyrics – Essential Worship
- Look at the Book videos by John Piper – John 15:12-15 Part 2, John 15:12-15 Part 3
- Story behind the song “What a Friend” by Matt Maher – kwsp.org article