Putting first things first is a habit of highly effective people. But what are the “first things” for a follower of Christ? How does God rank the things you should be prioritizing above others?
Let’s allow Scripture to mold how we interpret the world.
In this episode, I discuss the following:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Meditate on Scripture
- Define words
- Read/study various translations
- Compare and contrast
- Episode Guide Download
- Reading the entire Sermon on the Mount
- Recognizing that there’s value in continuing to read and keep on reading and a time to stop and explore when interacting with Scripture
- Our focus area of Scripture in the “do not” section of the sermon – Matthew 6:19-34
- How our inspiration song restates what Jesus is teaching
- Three areas we can rank higher than God wants us to
- What we watch (look at)
- Considering the original audience and still applying the principles Jesus is teaching to our current time
- How the world may teach that “first things first” is doing the things you have to do before you do the things you want to do, but as believers, we want God to change our priorities, not just the order of our actions
- Thinking about what “first” means, especially in light of Jesus, our preeminent One – Colossians 1:18
- How God wants a worldview change, but just obeying a commandment taught by men – Isaiah 29:13
- Further teaching on how “first” plays out in God’s kingdom – Matthew 20:1-16, Matthew 20:20-28, Philippians 2:6-7
What you value will show up in how you live — where you spend your time, talents, and treasure.
Enjoy the official lyric video of the song below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics to “First Things First” by Consumed By Fire – NewReleaseToday.com
- The story behind the song “First Things First” by Consumed By Fire – New Release Today Article
- “First Things First” song story by Consumed By Fire – YouTube Video
- “What Matthew 6:33 (Seek First the Kingdom of God) Means: How to Seek the Kingdom of God Now” – The Bible Project Article
- My favorite Bible Study Software – Logos Bible Software Affiliate Link
This Week’s Challenge
Study Matthew 6:19-34 in context of the entire Sermon on the Mount. Consider what it might mean to take advice from the preeminent One on what should rank in our lives. Meditate on what “first” means and how that impacts what it means to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness first.