I had a conversation with a friend this week. She described herself as “full up.” I get it. This year isn’t cutting any of us any breaks, is it? It keeps pouring out the stress, and we’re “full up.” What we need is a peace that passes understanding. That’s what Hillsong Young & Free sings about in their song “P E A C E,” and it is promised to us in Scripture.
Join me as we explore what it takes to secure the peace we so desperately desire.
In this episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Read in context
- Read in several translations
- Read an overview of the book you are studying
- Journal your dialogue with God
- Make a list
- The 30 Day Music Challenge – ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE HERE
- Understanding the anxiety, I address in this episode is circumstantial, not clinical
- Why the song inspired me to study Philippians – Philippians 4:6-7
- Making it your habit to read the epistles all the way through
- My favorite resource for overviews of each book of the Bible along with advice on how to read each book – “How to Read the Bible Book by Book” by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart – Amazon link
- Highlighting the emphases of the letter to Philippians so as not to study a smaller section ignoring the whole
- Identifying areas of anxiety in your own life
- Discovering potential sources of anxiety for the Philippians
- Specific instructions that lead to peace – Philippians 4:4-7
- Refocusing our minds during times of anxiety – Philippians 4:8
- Practicing what we’ve learned today – Philippians 4:9
Practice rejoicing. Practice praying with thanksgiving. DO THESE THINGS. Don’t just read about them. Do them. Practice them.
Check out the official lyric video of this week’s song below!
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics and chords – WorshipTogether.com
- The story behind the song “P E A C E” by Hillsong Young & Free – YouTube Video
This Week’s Challenge
Read all of Philippians multiple times this week. Try reading in a variety of translations. Look for hints at what might cause anxiety in the lives of the church members at Philippi and discover if anything you discover compares to what you are dealing with. Follow Paul’s instructions as it relates to your anxiety; rejoice, and pray. Practice these things, and you will not only get God’s peace but God Himself.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download