While we may not be able to choose happiness, we can choose joy. We can choose joy because it’s not rooted in our circumstances or feelings but rather the truth of Who God is and who we are in Him. “Joyful” by Dante Bowe is a fun, upbeat song that can remind us of that foundation of truth.
Let’s explore a psalm together that reminds us that this is the day the Lord has made.
In this episode, I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Read in a variety of translations
- Meditate on Scripture
- Follow the cross-references
- Consult outside resources
- The 30 Day Music Challenge
- A quote from Dante Bowe – JubileeCast.com Article
- Getting inspired to study Psalm 118 by a Scriptural lyric in our song – Psalm 118:24
- How the psalmist bookends the song with the same phrase – Psalm 118:1, Psalm 118:29
- Meditating on phrases/verses that “pop out” at us
- Psalm 118:6 – what can man do to me?
- Psalm 118:8 – contrasting trust in man with trust in God
- Psalm 118:14 – recognizing a verse I’ve already studied in Exodus 15
- Using this psalm as a jumping off point to explore other areas of Scripture through following the cross-references
- God answering out of deep distress might send us to Chronicles and Kings to learn more about King Manasseh – 2 Chronicles 33:12
- Remembering God is for us in Romans 8
- Learning a new song in Exodus 15
- Discovering this may have been the last song Jesus sang with His disciples at the Last Supper
- Tools I use to identify cross-references
- Following the cross-references listed in our study Bibles
- Using an online tool like BibleHub.com
- A few outside resources I used in my interaction time this week
- New Living Translation Bible with Filament Bible App for study notes – Amazon link
- English Standard Version Study Bible – Amazon link
- The One Year Book of Psalms – Amazon link
Enjoy the official music video below.
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics – New Release Today
- Chords – Praise Charts
This Week’s Challenge
Read Psalm 118 for yourself. Read it repetitively and in several translations. Choose some verses to meditate on and perhaps even commit to memory. Sit down one day and chase down a cross-reference and explore a connection you may never have seen before. And remember, this is the day the Lord has made. Don’t forget to rejoice and be glad in it.