There are times in life with something Scripture teaches smacks you right in the face and causes you to sit up and pay attention. When I was growing up in church people would say the pastor was “stepping on their toes” in a sermon. The lyrics in the song “Smile” by Sidewalk Prophets are reflective of truth found in Scripture. Perhaps choosing joy during difficulty is easier to sing about than do.
Come spend some time in a few verses in the book of James with me this week as learn more about choosing joy.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Listen to an audio version of Scripture
- Read the envelope
- Review the introduction in your study Bible or online
- Consult a variety of translations
- Complete a word study
- A women’s conference next month where I am the guest speaker – Event Information
- The coronavirus pandemic causing us all to sit up straight when we read in Scripture to choose joy – James 1:2-4
- How the Bible has a lot to say about joy (59+ occurrences in the New Testament and 93+ in the Old Testament)
- Reading the envelope of the letter from James – who is the letter from, to, and when was it written?
- How scholars believe the letter from James was the first of its kind as it is probably the oldest book of the New Testament
- The joy that James is talking about is not an emotional response, but rather a deep seated sense of confidence and well-being that transcends circumstances
- Reading in a variety of translations to get a fuller picture of a word or phrase – BibleHub.com
- Letting joy have authority in our lives when we face trials – Episode 224
- Doing a word study on “steadfastness” – BibleHub.com
- Doing a word study on “perfect” – BibleHub.com
- Christ-like character as my ultimate destination
Check out the official music video on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
Follow the More Than a Song 2020 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- How do I know James is possible the oldest book in the New Testament? – BibleStudyTools.com Article
- Lyrics – Klove.com
- The Story Behind the Song “Smile” by Sidewalk Prophets – New Release Today Article
This Week’s Challenge
Dive into the letter from James this week. If you’re like me, you read it through once (or listen to it in less than 15 minutes) and then sit and soak in verses 2-4. Read in a variety of translations. Take a shot at reading the word-study summaries available to you. Be honest with the Lord about how hard the trials of your life are, but thank him that he has revealed a purpose for them right here in his Word.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download